20 Questions: It Happened in Summer
1. August 25, 1940: What happened to Arno Rudolphi and Ann Hayward on the World's Fair Parachute Jump?
2. June 6, 1664: Major rebranding. What was it?
3. August 18, 1939: What movie, partially in black and white, partially in color, opened on this date in New York City?
4. July 12, 1984: She represented Queens 9th District in the House of Representatives and was chosen on this date as Walter Mondale's vice-presidential candidate. Her name?
5. July 30, 1777: NY's first governor takes office. He later served as Vice President under Jefferson and Madison. His name?
a) Padua Perses b) Perses Clinton c) George Clinton d) Nelson George e) Nelsen Nilsson
6. June 13, 1971: The New York Times begins publishing the secret Department of Defense study on the history of U.S. involvement in Vietnam from 1945-1967. These documents are commonly known as?
7. August 15, 1934: William Beebe, of the New York Zoological Society (now the Wildlife Conservation Society) set a record in Bermuda (3,028 feet) for the deepest dive in this thing. What is it called? (Hint: if you are a Sondheim fan, you know the answer to this)
8. July 31, 1990: Part of the NY Daily News front page headline is "Gone! The Boss gets the thumb." What happened?
9. June 19, 1885: It arrived safely in New York Harbor, in 350 pieces, on this date. What was it?
10. June 28, 1969: The uprising. June 28, 2016: designated a national monument. The name?
11. June 15, 1904: A fire aboard this paddle steamer in the East River killed 1,021.
12. New York State's Pure Food Law, enacted to prevent "the adulteration of food or drugs," in what decade?
a) 1880s b) 1910s c) 1930s d) 1970s
13. July 11, 1804: The duel between Hamilton and Burr happened on this day. Where did it take place?
14. August 17, 1969: The Woodstock Music Festival—where did it take place?
a) Woodstock b) The Vly c) Bethel d) Bearsville e) Kerhonkson
15. August 10, 1977: Postal worker David Berkowitz was arrested. By what name is he better known?
16. July 9, 1776: What did his troops hear from George Washington on this date?
17. August, 23 1979: This Bolshoi Ballet dancer defects after a performance in New York City. His name?
18. July 9th, 1936: On the hottest day on record in NYC, how hot did it get?
19. June 9, 1973: This horse won the Triple Crown with his Belmont Stakes race.
20. June 16, 1890. This, designed by Stanford White, opened. What is it?
[Answers will be posted on the website after 1pm.]